MMA

February 20, 2019, 7:01 pm

With no offers on table, Dustin Poirier hopes for UFC release

The UFC's plans for the muddled lightweight division have Dustin Poirier wanting out of his contract.

With no offers on table, Dustin Poirier hopes for UFC release
ADVERTISEMENT

With no offerings on table, Dustin Poirier hopes for UFC merchandise With no offerings on table, Dustin Poirier hopes for UFC merchandise

News

With no offerings on table, Dustin Poirier hopes for UFC merchandise

By Steven Marrocco February 20, 2019 4:20 pm

shares share tweet pin sms send email

By: Steven Marrocco | February 20, 2019 4:20 pm

UFC lightweight Dustin Poirier has campaigned astir nonstop for a big fighting. Now he’s sounding for the exit door.

Poirier, 30, named for his merchandise Wednesday aft respective months of inaction and defeat laid bare on societal media.

“These guys should just merchandise me,” he tweeted.

In a text communication to MMAjunkie, Poirier confirmed his feeling to be merchandised and a petition for a bump in pay to fighting Al Iaquinta at UFC 236, though he added no authoritative offering had been made by the promotion for the April 13 pay-per-view event.

Asked astir promotions that could possibly host him, including Bellator, Rizin FF and ONE Championship, Poirier added, “Anywhere.”

Iaquinta on Tuesday told “UFC Unfiltered” that the UFC tested to book him other Poirier and that financial demands were a roadblock.

“I hope the UFC can reach down into their pockets and make him happy to take the fighting,” Iaquinta said. “Because from what I’ve been hearing, it’s going to be Conor (McGregor) and (Donald) ‘Cowboy” (Cerrone) in the summer, (and) Max Holloway is going to come up (from featherweight) to fighting (Tony) Ferguson for an interim belt. So that leaves me and him.”

Iaquinta was quick to respond to Poirier’s tweet with one of his own, writing “Release me too” and adding “it’s not even a sport anymore” in another.

Poirier was all smiles this past March aft inking a new UFC contract with “championship language” and a bump in pay. He said he wanted to retire with the promotion. But aft back-to-back wins against ex-champs Justin Gaethje and Eddie Alvarez, Poirier grew increasingly frustrated with his inability to get a UFC title shot or a big fighting.

In January, Poirier gave the promotion an ultimatum, saying he would only accept a rematch with Conor McGregor – who defeated him in 2014 as a featherweight – or ex-interim champ Tony Ferguson. He also wanted a new contract.

As recently as last week, Poirier said he was in the dark astir his future. Now that things seem to be falling into place, he wants out.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Breaking, Dustin Poirier, News, UFC

shares share tweet pin sms send email

More News

1.8k shares3w ago

Featured

Dustin Poirier says 'I'm not fightinging' unless it's Conor McGregor or Tony Ferguson – or he wants new deal

383 shares20 Jan

Featured

Al Iaquinta says Conor McGregor doesn't deserve UFC title rematch: 'Money talks, but let's be serious'

139 shares3w ago

Featured

Daily Debate results: Conor McGregor or Tony Ferguson next for Dustin Poirier?

Comments

The Latest

0 1hr

Reports: Paige VanZant vs. Poliana Botelho set for UFC 236

The UFC’s spring pay-per-view continues to grow with the addition of a new women’s flyweight fighting.

0 1hr

Dillon Danis scheduled for NSAC hearing on UFC 229 brawl

Dillon Danis will face the music next week for his role in the infamous UFC 229 brawl.

0 1hr

Matt Mitrione would love Bellator rematch vs. Fedor Emelianenko in Moscow: 'Let's get weird'

Let it serve as notice of Fedor Emelianenko’s legend that a man who beat him would be “honored” to have a rematch.

0 reply 868 shares 2hr

UFC champ Tyron Woodley to Georges St-Pierre: 'Would be an honor' to cross paths in gym

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley had high praise for Georges St-Pierre in the wake of his retirement news.

0 reply 852 shares 3hr

For your consideration: Khabib Nurmagomedov offerings Georges St-Pierre retirement fighting

UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn’t want to be the reason Georges St-Pierre retires.

0 reply 368 shares 4hr

Thiago 'Marreta' Santos approves of Anthony Smith's UFC 235 title shot vs. Jon Jones

Thiago “Marreta” Santos TKO’d Anthony Smith last year, albeit at middleweight, and has rebounded to earn a UFC light heavyweight title shot.

0 4hr

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2861 with Neil Melanson

Stream or download Tuesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with Neil Melanson.

0 reply 1.2k shares 5hr

Former UFC champ Georges St-Pierre to announce retirement at Thursday news conference

It appears we’ve seen the last of Georges St-Pierre inside the octagon.

0 6hr

UFC on ESPN+ 3 pre-event facts: Michel Prazeres stands with elite company

The best facts, figures and footnotes astir UFC on ESPN+ 3, which features a Jan Blachowicz vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos main event.

0 6hr

Bellator adds Russian sambo champ Marina Mokhnatkina to women's featherweight division

Bellator has signed Marina Mokhnatkina in hopes of adding some depth to its women’s featherweight division.

Follow MMAJ!

Social

See MMAJ stories in your feed Like MMAjunkie Follow MMAjunkie

Newsletter

Get the day's top stories Sign me up! Success

Thanks for signing up.
Please check your email for a confirmation.

Whoa!

Something went wrong.

Try again? More MMAjunkie

UFC lightweight Dustin Poirier has campaigned astir nonstop for a big fighting. Now he’s sounding for the exit door.

Poirier, 30, named for his merchandise Wednesday aft respective months of inaction and defeat laid bare on societal media.

“These guys should just merchandise me,” he tweeted.

In a text communication to MMAjunkie, Poirier confirmed his feeling to be merchandised and a petition for a bump in pay to fighting Al Iaquinta at UFC 236, though he added no authoritative offering had been made by the promotion for the April 13 pay-per-view event.

Asked astir promotions that could possibly host him, including Bellator, Rizin FF and ONE Championship, Poirier added, “Anywhere.”

Iaquinta on Tuesday told “UFC Unfiltered” that the UFC tested to book him other Poirier and that financial demands were a roadblock.

“I hope the UFC can reach down into their pockets and make him happy to take the fighting,” Iaquinta said. “Because from what I’ve been hearing, it’s going to be Conor (McGregor) and (Donald) ‘Cowboy” (Cerrone) in the summer, (and) Max Holloway is going to come up (from featherweight) to fighting (Tony) Ferguson for an interim belt. So that leaves me and him.”

Iaquinta was quick to respond to Poirier’s tweet with one of his own, writing “Release me too” and adding “it’s not even a sport anymore” in another.

Poirier was all smiles this past March aft inking a new UFC contract with “championship language” and a bump in pay. He said he wanted to retire with the promotion. But aft back-to-back wins against ex-champs Justin Gaethje and Eddie Alvarez, Poirier grew increasingly frustrated with his inability to get a UFC title shot or a big fighting.

In January, Poirier gave the promotion an ultimatum, saying he would only accept a rematch with Conor McGregor – who defeated him in 2014 as a featherweight – or ex-interim champ Tony Ferguson. He also wanted a new contract.

As recently as last week, Poirier said he was in the dark astir his future. Now that things seem to be falling into place, he wants out.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Did you like the news?

Recommended for you

Share Share